Serving Patients in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas
What questions should I ask before buying a hearing aid?
here are many different types of hearing aids on the market, and each one offers its own unique benefits. But with so many options available, it’s easy to become overwhelmed by your choices—and the thought of simply allowing a hearing care provider or family member pick one for you may seem tempting.
Five Essential Questions to Ask Before Buying a Hearing Aid
While you may be spoiled for choice in today’s hearing aid market, choosing the right device doesn’t have to be a chore. In many cases, the burden of choosing the perfect device is just a matter of asking the right questions.
Whether you are buying your first hearing aid or your fifth, make sure you ask your hearing care provider:
- What features would be most useful to me? Many digital hearing aid features connect the wearer to every facet of his or her daily life, including cell phones, televisions, and other electronics. You should discuss your specific needs and concerns with your provider to see which features will benefit you, as well as how to access these features to get the most out of your device.
- Do you offer a trial period? A hearing aid is a major investment, and you should never buy one without the guarantee of a refund. Ask your provider if he or she offers a free hearing aid trial to “test drive” the device, how long after purchase can the device be refunded, and if there is any portion of the purchase that will not be refundable if the device is returned.
- What is the total cost? Your provider should not hesitate to provide the total cost of the hearing aid before you buy, including which options are covered by your insurance plan. For example, our offices offer financing through CareCredit, accept all major credit cards, and can create custom payment plans to make your device affordable.
- How long is the warranty? A new hearing aid should be covered by a warranty, but not all breakage or damage may be covered. Go through the terms of the warranty with your provider, including what the warranty covers, how long it lasts, and if it can be extended.
- What about repairs? Does your hearing care provider do in-office repairs? How much are the charges for repair, cleaning, or maintenance? If your device requires long-term servicing, does the office provide a loaner device?
Remember: the shopping process only takes a day or two, but the hearing aid will stay with you for several years. Our hearing care specialists carefully walk you through each device, ensuring that you will be satisfied with your hearing aid purchase for years to come. Call or visit us today to find the perfect device for you!